Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Tomato Basil Soup


homemade tomato basil soup

This is a staple in my home during the cold months. I double or triple it it freezes well and sits in a crock pot well also. A seriously cravable soup. Serve with Parmesan cheese and bread sticks, or for the kiddos with gold fish.

In Sauce pot combine:

2 cans large crushed tomatoes (if you do not have a hand blender use tomato sauce)
1 qt. water
1 lb. softened cream cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil (or dried if fresh is unavailable)
1/3 cup sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

Simmer ingredients for 1 hour then puree with hand mixer until smooth(or omit and have a chunkier consistency). Taste and re season as needed.

When I am feeling spicier. I add a little oil to the pan first and saute chopped garlic and onions. this reminds me of Zuppas version.

No comments: