Monday, February 8, 2010

Balsamic-Marinated Chicken with Orange Aocado Salad

With the day full of sunshine, I felt like grillin. I actually love to grill all year long, just love the end result. I do not however love it when it is snowing, my toes FREEZE. So thank you Spring for poking your beautiful lil head out. I found this recipe (chicken) in In the kitchen the Costco way. Sounds weird, but it has some great recipes. This has become a favorite. My husband just loves it! Also don't tell anyone but this is super good for you SHHHHHHHH.

Balsamic-Marinated Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts halved (or use 10 tenders)
1 cup balsamic vinaigrette (I use Kraft reduced fat Balsamic Salad dressing, remember I'm watching my calories.)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbs frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp crushed garlic

Combine all ingredients

Place chicken in lg. ziplock bag. Add marinade to chicken. Squeeze air out of bag and seal. Marinate in fridge 4 hours (the longer the better, on Sunday mornings I make it early and let it marinate for 6-8 hours.)

Set up grill on medium high heat. Oil grate when ready to start cooking. I brush with Olive oil or use Pam for grilling, this is very important or chicken will stick. Remove from marinade, grill for 3-4 minutes per side until chicken is no longer pink.

Variation: Can be cooked under broiler. Broil 6-8 inches under heat source. Broil for 5-6 minutes per side or until chicken is no longer pink.

Orange Avocado Salad


I came up with this when I wanted something new, delicious and light. I love the flavor combinations and the simplicity.

Dressing
Zest 1 orange take care to not zest the white
To Zest add 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil, whisk
Add 3tbs sugar
Add 3tbs red wine vinegar
pinch of salt

Taste at this stage and adjust as desired. I like mine tart and sweet. Refrigerate until serving.

Cut the remaining white peel off orange. then slice for salad
slice 1 avocado
baby spinach

I assemble each salad individually. Spinach on bottom, then avocado slices and orange. Then spoon dressing over. Now you have a perfect light summer salad.

1 comment:

Lisa Marie Trent said...

Oh Summer. I can't even explain the salivating that is going on right now- that chicken looks amazing. I may have to buck up and try it. It would be a good one for my dinner blog. Yum.