Saturday, November 20, 2010

Holiday Cranberry-Raspberry Sauce (or you better put this on your turkey)


I'll be 100% honest until I was married and had the privilege of tasting my mother in laws cranberry sauce I was sure cranberry sauce only came from 2 sources, a can or from honey baked ham and honestly I enjoyed both. But if you are going to roast a delish turkey for hours you must make a delicious complimenting condiment. Needless to say I now know where proper cranberry sauce comes from, a pan in my kitchen. I see a lil potential family problem with this post so just to cover myself let me tell you what I love in MY family Thanksgiving, It's truly traditional. Our turkey, our homemade rolls (Jenny they are the best!), our pies, our mashed potatoes. Ok my in law side offers the most scrumptious extras and sides you could ever imagine pretzel Jello (don't knock it), orange rolls, rice crispy cornucopias, yams that are so rich you swear they are a dessert. K I think I'm covered and I'm sure most of you feel the exact same way...

Holiday Cranberry-Raspberry Sauce (it's really no big deal especially since it can be made ahead of time)


1 (12-ounce) bag fresh cranberries

3/4-1 cup sugar, or more to taste (I like to leave a lil tartness)

3/4 cup water

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Juice and zest from 1 large orange

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 knob fresh ginger, about an inch long, peeled and cut into 4 thick slices

1 (10-12-ounce) bag frozen raspberries

In a medium-large saucepan, put cranberries, sugar, water, cinnamon, juice and zest from orange, lemon juice and ginger slices. Bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the raspberries (they can be thawed or frozen) and the rum or rum flavoring. Simmer until the cranberries have popped, the raspberries have turned very soft and the sauce has thickened a little. (Don’t worry if the raspberries fall apart, they’ll still add great flavor.) Taste to see if you want more sugar. Take off stove to cool. Take out the ginger slices with a spoon. (If you like a stronger flavor of fresh ginger, you can also mince the knob of ginger after it is peeled. Add to the sauce and leave it in.)

Serve warm or at room temperature. If preparing ahead, refrigerate sauce until serving time. Makes 3-4 cups sauce.

Oh man your turkey now has the ultimate accessory! KCL

1 comment:

Christa said...

Yum! I was in charge of the cranberry sauce and the mashed potatoes so thanks for the recipes! I always know that your recipes turn out great. It is all delicious. I made a cranberry jalepeno sauce that turned out yummy too. You are the best sum sum!