Thursday, November 11, 2010

*Make Ahead* Mashed potatoes

I am so excited about this idea! I wish I could claim it as my own but I just can't. I love mashed potatoes, they are a home comfort food for me. My dad "the author" makes the most delicious garlic mashed potatoes. Sometimes it's just to much of a hassle to have hot mashed potatoes come out right before serving dinner. The beauty of this dish is you can make them ahead of time and they keep in the refrigerator for several days.Think of how easy I just made your Thanksgiving dinner or even a fancy Sunday dinner!

Ingredients

5 pounds potatoes (*I used red potatoes skin on and baking idaho potatoes. This works great with all red potatoes but this particular time was making a meal for a friend and wasn't sure of their potato taste. The only thing is if using different types of potatoes cut all to a unifor size for the boiling process. Long story short use what comforts you.
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup sour cream (low fat is fine)
8 ounces cream cheese softened (low fat is fine, but we are making remember we are making creamy mashed potatoes here)
4 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Scrub, peel and rinse the potatoes, and cut into 2 inch pieces. Place in large stock pot and cover with water. Boil until fork tender, approx. 18-20 minutes.

Drain the potatoes and place in a standing mixer or have hand mixer ready. Melt together in microwave butter, sour cream, garlic and cream cheese stir until smooth and combined then add hot mixture to potatoes. Thoroughly mix the potatoes to desired consistency. Taste for seasoning, I start with a tablespoon of salt and a teaspoon of pepper, then taste and re season as needed.

Transfer potatoes to shallow baking dish and cover with foil. Potatoes can be kept warm in the oven at this point or refrigerated. If using later you can also divide the potatoes into 2 dishes if you family will not eat 5 pounds of potatoes. Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes. Makes 10 to 12 servings.


Enjoy an easy holiday dinner KCL

No comments: