Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Favorite Gingerbread

I can tell you the first time I tasted real moist delicious rich gingerbread. I was at a church activity and the minute it hit my tongue angels sang. Seriously I was in complete and utter bliss. I had never known what I had been missing. This is the recipe I tasted that day " FAVORITE GINGERBREAD", and I'm a little ashamed to say I even helped myself to thirds! Oh if you have never tasted real gingerbread you simply MUST!

Favorite Gingerbread
Vickie Waddoups

Deliciously rich, black, and moist

Ingredients

1/2 cup soft shortening
2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
1 cup dark molasses
1 cup boiling water
2 1/4 cups Gold Medal Flour
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a square 9x9 or 9 inch ring mold. Mix thoroughly shortening, sugar, and egg. Blend in molasses and water. Measure flour by dip-level-pour method or by sifting. Stir together dry ingredients; blend dry to wet. Beat until smooth. Pour into pan. Bake 45-50 minutes. Serve hot or cold. Cut into wedges serve with vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.

* As a side note this could be a cute "grown up" treat to put inside the cupcakes in a jar. Just cut out the baked gingerbread into circles with a round cutter. Then follow directions on the previous post.

No comments: