Saturday, February 5, 2011

How to cut the perfect fresh pineapple or otherwise titled I never have to buy canned pineapple ever again...

The good thing about this post is you are probably here because you want to learn something. The bad thing is you get up close and personal with my nails. YES I bite my nails, and I'm never quiting. It's my guilty pleasure, come on I don't eat white sugar or flour and don't drink soda. K just had to warn you...
 Let's start of by discussing how to pick the perfect pineapple. If the outer is green it is not ripe yet. I prefer one that has a yellow/brownish skin. I also like it to give just the slightest bit when I press my thumb into it. Too much give and you get an overly ripe pineapple.

Grab a good serrated knife. Lay her (I'm sure pineapples are girls? With all that hair!!! ha) down on a cutting board. Now cut the bottom of the pineapple about 1/2 inch up.

 Same exact thing on the top. Cut about 3/4 of an inch off. I work w my garbage can right at my side and toss all the rubbish to keep a clean work space.
 Now stand her up on the great stable bottom you created and cut down removing about 1/4 inch of outer skin. At this point you will know if you need to remove more. If there are lots of brown circle spots you need to keep trimming. Just a few don't bother me. I want all the goodness this fruit had to offer.
 Continue trimming all the outer skin until you have a perfect yellow pineapple. Now you can see the core. Just like an apple a pineapple has a core. I cut around it leaving the pineapple in 4 large slices. then discard the long tough square core.

 Now you dice to desired size and store in an air tight container in refrigerator. Keeps for about a week! So Yummy, it's my 7 year old's favorite food! Funny she has always hated canned pineapple!
be happy be healthy KCL

No comments: